How was Indigenous culture integrated into the program content or delivery?
Cultural activities are integrated throughout the program which includes hand on training and land based teachings. Programming is delivered by Aboriginal staff and instructors. Elders are involved in the program.
Essential skills are taught using the Aboriginal Workplace Essential Skills curriculum with is tailored to the needs of aboriginal learners.
Who are your partners, and what is their involvement in the initiative?
Dr. McCann – prescribing and other support
Medicine Shoppe – methadone/suboxone dispensing and other support.
Eel Ground Child and Family
• Family support
• Social workers
• Counseling space if needed
• 24 hour on call services
Eel Ground Social Development – social assistance if needed
Rising Sun Treatment Center – social worker support and land based program and assessment assistance
Eel Ground Community Development Center
• Training and employment services
• 12 week workplace essential skills Indigenous WES program with a strong cultural component
• Participant bi-weekly stipend
• Provinces Post Secondary Education Training and Labour (WES)
• Wills and estates session
• Power of attorney session
• Matrimonial Real Property on Reserves session
Miramichi Emergency Center for Women
• Aboriginal liaison
• Intimate partner violence session
• Domestic violence session
Natoageg Food Center
• Food bank services
• Collective kitchens
• Cooking classes
• Community drop-in meals
• Job placements
• 12 week metabolic conditioning (Metcon program)
Eel Ground First Nation
• Full support from chief and council
• In-kind space to administer ORT
• In-kind space to hold workshops, sessions, etc.
Eel Ground Health Center
Horizon Health Support Services
• Hope house
• Mental Health counseling
• CMHA (Canadian Mental Health Association)
• Families Take Care Program
• Taking Chard – A life skills program
• Childcare services
Joint Economic Development Initiative
• Delivery of ES training including Digital Literacy, Financial Literacy and Personal Cyber security
• In partnership with the Government of New Brunswick Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour JEDI co-delivers the Aboriginal Workplace ES Training curriculum